Saturday, September 3

Add a Little Flour

He's entered a phase of imitation...

Of sounds,
of words,
of stories,
of motions,
and of activities.

I've entered a phase, rather a new habit of saying yes...

To rough-housing,
to climbing,
to ceaseless movement,
to motor sounds,
and to messes.

[Insert happy place here.]

I think all of us here are feeling better
now that eased-up-mommy has entered the scene
and she's here to stay!
(I'm not sure why I'm talking in the third person,
but it must come with the new territory I'm walking in.)

Before, it was so easy to say, "another time"
or to make a thousand conditions about something
that, with a bit of effort, foresight, and creativity
could become something so much better
and so much more memorable
than the same old,
un-stimulating,
easy way routine.

[Three cheers for the new way! Woo-Hoo-Hoo!]

I was going to bake cookies yesterday.
I invited my Bootsy-Cutesy into the kitchen,
which is always gated off-limits.
(No, Todd. That's Ajay, not Chris.)

This time it would not be the same.
This time was different.
It was better for me,
for Ajay,
and for my stay-at-home-Mister--
working off his cute tail for our little fam--
who, by the way, these cookies were being prepared for!

This time he wasn't in the living room alone
with empty mixing bowls,
and utensils.

This time I made a bigger set-up.

This time he was in the kitchen
WITH me.

There were actual ingredients in the bowls.
There were a few things he'd never played with.

He was all-in.

(And very orderly, I might add. Where was the big mess I welcomed?!?)
He added a little flour and some oats
and before long,
he was measuring,
and scooping,
and stirring like a pro.
He proved to be a natural mixer!
I asked him if he wanted to help me at the counter.
Before I was able to get the chair situated,
Ajay had his leg slung up and was climbing to the top.
Happy momma, happy baby/slash/big boy!

It's obvious that things required more time
and attention once a little one is invited to be involved.

All he needs from me in this phase of life are
Time
and
focused attention.

I'm so glad he's curious,

and interested,

and involved.



Now, just picture him in a little man apron and chef's hat:
For some reason, stuff always tastes better
when someone else [helps] make it.




(p.s. Thanks to Mister for taking these great photos!)



3 comments:

Leslie said...

Yay! Baking with children is always an adventure, but the smiles on their little faces...totally worth it :)

Go Super Mom for embracing the mess!

Bree said...

This brought tears to my eyes...
You are really growing and this post was so vulnerable in expressing that.
Isn't it empowering to take baby-steps that have such big payoffs? You are amazing (even though you don't think you are) and I love you!

Bryce said...

Thank you Leslie!! I appreciate your cheers!

Bree...I love you! Thanks for the encouragement and honesty. My life is better because you're in it!