Today I made began my first attempt at lacto-fermentation.
Basically, lacto-fermentation is taking the carbohydrates of vegetables and turning them into lactic acid. Lactic acid breaks food down making it easier to digest.
The resulting product is full of digestive enzymes and beneficial bacteria.
Lactic acid stimulates your digestive system to make it function as it should.
I'm starting this learning process with sauerkraut because
A) Cabbage is affordable if things don't turn out,
and B) I need condiments, people!
A) Cabbage is affordable if things don't turn out,
and B) I need condiments, people!
This pregnancy has given me a taste for a variety of foods that we don't regularly keep on hand:
-Salsa--thick and chunky
-Sour Cream
-Salsa--spicy hot...mmm
-Olives
-Dill Pickles
(And did I mention Salsa?)
It dawned on me the other day that those are all fermented foods.
I've never prepared anything using whey before, so I'm pretty excited to see if this recipe turns out and am hoping to try making my own salsa in the next few weeks.
So, I'll let you know about my lacto-fermention adventure as it unfolds...or molds!
Here's the recipe I followed:
From Nourishing Traditions
1/4 c liquid whey (Thanks for sharing yours, Bree!)
1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
1 T caraway seeds
1 T real salt
-Put all ingredients in large bowl and pound with masher for 10 minutes to release juices
-Press everything into a quart sized jar, push down on it to be sure to get all the air out
-Leave about 1 inch from the top of the jar
-Lightly cover and leave for three days on the counter (68˚-72˚F is ideal)
-Place in the fridge
-Tastes best over time
**Helpful tip** (and photos)
After filling the jar, place a plastic bag inside the jar and fill with water to make an airtight seal over the ingredients.
An oxygen-free environment makes the best conditions for fermentation to take place.
While I'm waiting, I'll just enjoy my store-bought Drew's Organic Thick and Chunky Hot Salsa. Too bad I can't just spoon it in because it seems like a waste of chips at this point.
P.S. This is week 23 of baby growing!
::nom, nom, nom::
Here's the recipe I followed:
From Nourishing Traditions
1/4 c liquid whey (Thanks for sharing yours, Bree!)
1 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
1 T caraway seeds
1 T real salt
-Put all ingredients in large bowl and pound with masher for 10 minutes to release juices
-Press everything into a quart sized jar, push down on it to be sure to get all the air out
-Leave about 1 inch from the top of the jar
-Lightly cover and leave for three days on the counter (68˚-72˚F is ideal)
-Place in the fridge
-Tastes best over time
**Helpful tip** (and photos)
After filling the jar, place a plastic bag inside the jar and fill with water to make an airtight seal over the ingredients.
An oxygen-free environment makes the best conditions for fermentation to take place.
While I'm waiting, I'll just enjoy my store-bought Drew's Organic Thick and Chunky Hot Salsa. Too bad I can't just spoon it in because it seems like a waste of chips at this point.
P.S. This is week 23 of baby growing!
::nom, nom, nom::
No comments:
Post a Comment