First and foremost, we chose cloth diapers to save moola. While in my 6th month of pregnancy, I did some math and the numbers were in favor of cloth, although it would be a lump-sum of cash upfront, we were truly blessed with more than enough money at our Baby Blessing Way to purchase the diapers all at once (that saved us even more $). If you're curious on the numbers, here's the results for one child in diapers for 2 years, we hope, with the price variations for sizing up, and with an average of 5 changes a day: For traditional, chlorinated, un-biodegradable, chemical-infused disposable diapers = approx. $2,000. For the brand of cloth we chose, FuzziBunz diapers = approx. $350 (I buy them at an online store). And second and foremost, we chose cloth to save energy and the planet.
I sought the advice of other "clothees" and found that the go-to amount of diapers averaged between 15 and 20 for one child to last through their diaper wearing years until training for the big-kid potty. We chose 18.
Thank you, dear FuzziBunz, for adding multiple options for waist snaps. (Why don't my jeans have these?). There are two options with FuzziBunz. Either way, these diapers are pure awesomeness. At first, we ordered all "One-Size" diapers with adjustable waist and leg elastic so Ajay could grow into them. But with our newborn, they were enormous! So, I ordered a set of three (shoulda bought 6) "Perfect Fit" fuzzies for his first stage, in which he quickly bulked-out of those and into the main supply of the one-size diapers.
When friends and acquaintances comment on the "bigness" of my little guy, while patting his bunz, I pipe-in with, "He's very healthy and we're happy to be wearing cloth diapers on him…" But you woulda thought I just said, "EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA ALL OVER YOU," because before I can say anything else, they are quickly passing the baby back to me or Chris and check their shirt for poop and pee stains. Seriously, people! I do consider your pretty wardrobes as much as my own and wouldn't pass you little mister pee-pee-poo-pants to mess you up. So don't worry!
What I can tell you is that the cloth diapers we're using for our kids are like modern rain coats, a sort of nylon, polyurethane outer shell, lined with fuzzy-wuzzy soft fleece. That wouldn't absorb crap--literally, so the inventors of FuzziBunz added an opening, or a pocket, between the outer shell and the inner fuzz in which an absorbent pad is stuffed. Phew! That is an earful.
Um, nobody, duh! But for us and a newborn, we were doing laundry every other day to keep up with the burpies and baby clothes, so throwing a load of cloth dipes in the wash wasn't any extra effort. Still doing laundry about every 3 days with our 7 month old.
If you read my initial thoughts about cloth diapers in a previous post, you will remember that I was ready and willing to take on that responsibility. But, (by the Grace of God and the wonderful world of FuzziBunz) I leave that up the washing machine. Bonus! It's as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5…hehee! I simply take my dry-pail of dirty bunz to the wash, pull out the soaked absorbent insert and toss it and its contents into the washer. Then I run a quick wash cycle with a bit of soap. After that's spun out all the seedy pee-poo water, I add a bit more soap and run a 'heavy-soiled' cycle. Toss the inserts into the dryer and hang the colorful covers and Boom. Done. Well, not quite, but you can see the photos that the last step is fun ;-)
**It's all about the FuzziBunz, baby. Chris was on board with the idea too, and has changed his share of dirties. (Thank you, my Love!) Even with its new challenge of super-soaker at 3am, I am still glad we are using FuzziBunz for our little guy.

1 comment:
:Why don't my jeans have these?:
hahahaha
I suspect if someone gets a hold of that idea there is a new maternity line of clothing that could erupt and change the world. The after-baby-nothing-fits-me-right clothing line!
This colorful post was a cheery way to start the day :-) Love the bunz!
Post a Comment